Sunday, June 15, 2008

For Rihanna, We'll Ride Until the Day We Die

By Sienna George

How does Rihanna ride?

She rides until the day she dies. We Ride is a track in Rihanna's second studio album, A Girl Like Me. Released in the middle of 2006 in the U.S, the song had a slow start. It did not even make it to the Billboard Hot 100. Elsewhere, however, it made waves. It easily made its way to the top 10 of New Zealand's Singles Chart and to the top 20 of the UK Singles Chart.

We Ride tells the story of a woman's pain. Her man promises to be with her forever, but does things that are bound to tear them apart. "I saw her pictures and the letters she sent. You had me thinking you were out with your friends. I'm so foolish," Rihanna sings brokenly. Despite his infidelity, she clings to the wonderful memories they had before his unfaithfulness drove them apart. She sings:

Visions in my mind
Of the day that we met
You showed me things
That I'll never forget
Took me swimming
In the ocean
You had my head up in the clouds.

Rihanna's We Ride may have done poorly in the charts - it's her lowest charting single worldwide - but it nevertheless remains an important music video for Rihanna, a project that is close to her heart. Why? Because her friends appear in the video with her.

Shot in Miami and Florida Keys, Rihanna's We Ride featured the singing sensation "chilling with the girls." This is perhaps why the video is simpler and much more stark compared to her bona fide hits. Right from the start, Rihanna had wanted to keep the video simple. Says the artist, "Unfaithful concepts were so out there so we pulled it back a little bit. I'm chilling with my girls some."

So, how does Rihanna ride?

She rides with heart. She rides until the day she dies.

Sienna George runs the biggest Rihanna fan site on the web. Check out her site RihannaSite.Com for all the latest Rihanna news, gossip, pics and songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment